Disney’s Grand Floridian hotel balances classic beauty and elegance with exceptional service in the heart of Disney World. Being a top-priced Disney hotel, there is always high demand for this property. We have found the service to be exceptional here, even by Disney standards.
We stayed in a studio Lake view Villa (DVC, Disney Vacation Club) at the Grand Floridian, and were again very satisfied with the location and overall service.
It is worth the premium to reserve a Lake view Villa here. You’re already paying for the Grand Floridian… it’s just a few more points for an exceptional view.
The layout is very comfortable, with almost 2 bathrooms — a complete tub and a separate large rainfall shower. The Polynesian Villas, slightly newer, also have a similar layout.
Of note: the studios do not have laundry washer/ dryer units built in (as do the larger one- and two-bedroom units). There is only one laundry room in the Villas building, located on the 4th floor.
Below, I rate everything from towel fluffiness to comfort of the bed in my standard rating system.
Hotel ratings: Disney’s Grand Floridian Villas, September 2015
- 6=exceptional (rare ranking)
- NE = no experience
Price — 3
Hotel Location — 6, on monorail track of Magic Kingdom
Front desk check in — 5.
Three concierge desks staffed until 10 pm, serve as dedicated front desk check in at the Villas.
Room size — (Studio Villa) 5.
Rainfall shower and tub, almost a double bathroom. Standard microwave and mini-fridge with kitchenette sink.
Room cleanliness / repair — 5.
Our mini-fridge was making a high-pitched whining noise. One call to maintenance (we stepped out), and the problem was fixed right away
Style / design impression — 5.
Clean classic lines, gracefully designed Villas.
Bed comfort — 3.
Studio with queen / full size bed. I still wish Disney Vacation Club (DVC) has a King size bed option for the studio Villas. Firm mattress. Nice quality linens
Bath robe / slippers — 2 waffle weave robes, no slippers
Quality of Toiletry amenities — 6.
Disney’s H2O spa line in generous quantities
Views — 6.
Lake view rooms have views of the Polynesian hotel and bungalows (long hallway), or partial views of the Magic Kingdom (Space Mountain and train station in the short hallway).
Shower temperature/ water pressure — 4
Slight variation in temperature.
Towels — fluffiness — 5 Towels — quantity — 6
Outlet plugs — 5
Sufficient Lighting — 5.
Overhead recessed lights, ceiling fan light, standing lamp
Flooring type — c, w, t
(c=carpet, w=wood, t=tile)
Lounge — n/a
Wifi — free
Food / restaurant —
Gasparilla’s quick service restaurant is quite a walk away. Refillable mug drink station is available at the much closer rock slide pool.
Staff Service — 6
Pool — 6.
Best Disney resort water slide! Short wait time for the long, winding open slide (unlike the long waits for the Beach Club’s Stormalong Bay slide). Great pool temperature. Pool closes at 11 pm. Note: slide may close beforehand — variable, depending on staffing.
Ample free Villa self parking. Get permit from guard on check-in day
Comments (and Tips!) —
Just for my Blog readers, I have additional tips about the property that are not posted on other sites (Disney hotel reviews, TripAdvisor).
- New Nespresso machine for complimentary espresso shots, 7 am – 9 pm. Now recently stocked with half and half creamer and stirrers. This is the only Nespresso machine I have seen outside of the Animal Kingdom Jambo House Concierge level lounge.
- Six-story tall DVC Villas building
- Trash and tidy service was on the 3rd day of our 4 day stay.
- Laundry for studios only on the 4th floor near elevator.
- Vending and ice machines are located on the 2nd and 4th floors
- Upper floors lake view rooms may have partial Magic Kingdom views (smaller side wing). Longer wing of building has great Polynesian views lakeside.
- There is no late check-out for Villas, but the Concierge desk may be able to arrange a ‘day room’ for you if you are staying on property after 11 am. (Based on availability, it’s worth asking!)
- See my review posted on Tripadvisor!